August 18, 2015
Earning your wings in Draenor
As you know, there has been drama, there has been uproar, and after a lot of spirited discussion Blizzard announced the reversion of the original plan to restrict flying in Draenor. Although they still firmly believe that keeping your feet on the ground is a key part of discovery in WoW, they also understood that for many it was an important aspect of the game and something that wouldn’t necessarily compromise their objectives for exploration. So, they came up with a compromise. Unlike other flying achievements which just rely on hitting a level requirement and buying the flying ability for a sum of gold, players would need to complete the achievement ‘Draenor pathfinder’ released in Patch 6.2 which would award the ability of flight as well as a chromatic rylak mount, the Soaring Skyterror. Once achieved and with Patch 6.2.2 flying in Draenor would become possible for all your characters at level 90 or above.
In a blue post earlier this year Blizzard said that: “We believe this strikes the right balance between ensuring ground-based content lives up to its full potential, while providing players who’ve already fully experienced Draenor’s outdoor world extra freedom to “break the rules.” This also provides a general blueprint going forward for content to come. Players will explore new and undiscovered lands from the ground, and then once they’ve fully mastered those environments—a notion that continues to evolve with each new expansion—they can take to the skies and experience the world from a new vantage point.”
What is the achievement?
The Draenor Pathfinder achievement is a multi-step achievement that can be tracked via the achievement page in-game. It does take some time to complete and so now is the time to get started if you haven’t already. It is comprised on the following:
- Explore Draenor: Explore all of Draenor’s zones
- Master Treasure Hunter: Collect 100 Treasures
- Loremaster of Draenor: Complete all major story quests in Draenor
- Securing Draenor: Complete 12 specific Apexis Dailies
- Tanaan Diplomat: Hit Revered with the three new Tanaan Jungle factions – Order of the Awakened, The Saberstalkers, and Hand of the Prophet (Alliance)/Vol’jin’s Headhunters (Horde).
For a complete look at every step of the Draenor Pathfinder Achievement, Wowhead have produced the Draenor Pathfinder guide which will provide you with everything you need to know in order to make getting the achievement as easy as possible.
Tracking your progress
You can track your progress in two ways:
- Track your objectives in-game by opening the achievement window, searching for the Draenor Pathfinder achievement and selecting the ‘track’ option which will add the objectives on-screen underneath your quest list.
- Track your objectives using the Wowhead Flying Tool, this can be found at http://www.wowhead.com/flying.
The good news is that the achievement is account-wide for the most part, meaning that you can complete the objectives towards this achievement on different characters. The exception to this is Securing Draenor, for this you must do all of the quests on one character only.
Logging in this past weekend it was great to see everyone hard at it, working through those questlines for the achievement. Good luck, I look forward to seeing you in the skies of Draenor very soon.