August 20, 2012
Highlights of Gamescom 2012
Last week marked the 4th Gamescom to be held in Cologne, Germany, the world’s biggest trade fair and event highlight for interactive entertainment attracting more than 275,000 visitors. If you’ve been following the news coming out of the convention this year and want to be part of the action, the next Gamescom will be held from the 21st to the 25th August 2013. But before we start thinking ahead lets look back at just some of the highlights from last week.
Announcements and Reveals
- The opening cinematic for Mists of Pandaria was presented at Gamescom setting the scene for the expansion release on 25th September 2012.
- Russian League of Legends team Moscow 5 defeated SK Gaming winning a best of three series 2-0. This win means that they pick up $30,000 in prize money and will be guaranteed a place in the League of Legends World Championships alongside Raidcall who have also qualified.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified gameplay was revealed during Sony’s press event, as was Black Ops 2’s multiplayer gameplay during the week.
- Hitman: Absolution revealed a new online challenge mode called ‘Contracts’ which enables the player to set targets to be assassinated for themselves and their friends.
- Sony revealed a number of titles during its press conference including: Rain (a PSN exclusive), Tearaway (PS Vita) and Puppeteer (Sony Japan).
- EA revealed that upcoming Command & Conquer Generals 2 has become the new Frostbite 2 engine-powered Command & Conquer, new and F2P.
- Revengeance is the first brand new entry in the Metal Gear series since Metal Gear Solid: Peacwalker was released for the PSP in 2010.
- Capcom were up first on gamescom press conference duty and unveiled details and a trailer of cyberpunk action game ‘Remember Me’.
- Capcom unveiled more details of the first person alien shooter that will run on the Unreal Engine 3, Lost Planet 3.
- EA revealed Crysis 3’s multiplayer hunter mode.
- Sony announced its ‘Cross-Buy’ platform that means if you purchase the PS3 version of a game you will get the Vita version for free.
- Sony announced that its PlayStation Mobile platform is landing on more devices including the Wikipad 3D.
Games we want to play now
You control Nilin, an amnesiac ‘memory hunter’, through the streets of Neo-Paris in the year 2084. Nilin’s former employer, Memoryeyes, erases her memories to neutralize her, she must discover why and how to restore them.
Assassins Creed III
Set in Colonial America, the Assassin-Templar has become involved in the American Revolution. You are Connor Kenway, drawn into the fight against tyranny when your home is attacked by colonists.
The fifth in the Hitman game series, 47 is betrayed by those he once trusted and now hunted by the police, he finds himself at the center of a dark conspiracy and must embark on a personal journey through a corrupt and twisted world, in his search for the truth.
Medal of Honor: Warfighter
The game is the direct sequel to Medal of Honor. Players will continue to control Tier 1 Operators through various scenarios, including rescuing hostages in Abu Sayyaf’s stronghold in the Philippines, and assaulting Al-Shabaab’s Pirate Town on the Somali Coast.
Call of Duty Black Ops 2
The protagonist of Black Ops, Alex Mason returns as the protagonist in the Cold War section, where he will be fighting in proxy wars for the United States in the Cold War. Known locations for this section of the game include multiple sites in Central America, Afghanistan during the Soviet invasion and Angola.
Gamescom was seriously huge, I have only covered a tiny fraction here. If you were following let us know your highlights and what you want to play right now.