April 10, 2013
PlayStation Store Update: Vita Update and Guacamelee
If you are a Vita owner and tried to log into the PlayStation Store you will notice you required an update. The update brings something that was much needed to the Vita’s home screen, folders. You can now organize your bubble icons into folders to alleviate some space and reduce the number of pages you have. I made ones depending on if they were PSP titles, PS1 titles, or Vita titles I have on my memory card, it shrunk my home screen by one and a half pages and looks way more organized. Here are some of the other updates in the 2.10 version:
- Create folders to more easily manage your favorite application icons on the home screen, with up to 10 icons in each folder and a maximum of 100 on the home screen (including icons inside the folders).
- Verify which PS Vita card you are using by looking at the home screen’s info bar. You can also save the layout of your home screen icons in the memory card.
- Added video support allows you to play videos within the browser (memory card required; some videos are not supported).
- New email enhancements allows you to view HTML messages, add multiple email addresses to your contacts, and easily search your messages using the new search feature.
- PlayStation Plus members will be able to automatically update PlayStation Mobile format software and upload game save data onto online storage using 3G connection.
- New “Mute Automatically” option will mute your PS Vita speakers when your headset is unplugged and pause your music when using the music app.
The update is just a few minutes, depending on your internet speed, and is relatively painless. On to the the games! There are plenty of new titles as well as full downloads for some recent games. Guacamelee leads the charge with its 2-D action platformer from the folks over at Drinkbox Studios. Guacamelee can be had for $14.99 on the PS3 and Vita; it comes with Cross Buy as well. Leading the full game downloads are the fantastic XCOM: Enemy Unknown ($39.99) and Platinum’s latest effort Anarchy Reigns ($29.99). The PS2 Classic this week is the seminal horror title Fatal Frame and can be purchased for $9.99. There are plenty of sales on Borderlands 1 & 2, plus DLC; Hot Shots Golf for all systems, plenty of lowered prices on PS3, Vita, and PSP titles. Borderlands 2 is on sale for $24.99, it’s cheaper than Amazon’s 33.98; so grab that up if you can. For all the details on the sales and everything I didn’t cover, as always, head over to the Official PlayStation Blog.